Baking, or something that resembles it.

I am admitedly not a cook. I don’t really enjoy it. It takes a lot of work, a lot of clean up and a lot of money if you want to make something good. But the crappy part is that there are no guarantees. You can follow a recipe word for word and make something that is as far from the projected outcome as can be. I was tring to be a holiday mom. I started with something easy…Rice Krispy Squares. No problem. Then I jumped into something more difficult. I had to cook the sugar into a candy like substance. I had a candy thermometer. I found out later it didn’t work. The first batch was coming along, then suddenly it reeked and was smoking. I chose to ignore the smoke. Maybe it is supposed to do that. After mixing it with the eggs. Not so much. After soaking the burned candy goop off of my pans and bowls, I was not daunted. I would begin again. Somewhere after “soft ball” on the theremometer, I realized it was not working. I grabbed what I think is actually a meat thermometer, and put in my mixture…It shot past the other by about 80 degrees. I panicked. Should I cook it a little longer? Should I stop. I decided to err on the side of caution. At least it wouldn’t be burnt. Well, it didn’t get hard. Should I throw it away? NO! I now am putting chocolate on the top and will attempt to flip it when it gets solid. I have created a new form of chocolate peanut butter candy. Taste remains to be tested. Ah well, on to the packaged sugar cookies. I can’t screw those up. Can I? By the way, I did manage to make some smashing “Daquiri Balls”. No actual cooking involved.

This entry was posted in Family, General, School. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Baking, or something that resembles it.

1. Dan says:

I’ll taste the new concoction.

2. ma ma j says:

Rule #1A, Numero Uno: Don’t cook candy if you don’t really like cooking/baking.

3. kristi says:

Rule #2: just because your mom makes it and she makes it look easy to make, doesn’t mean squat.
    I will be blogging soon about my peanut butter balls soon. I just gotta get them dipped first.

4. Kristen says:

Sounds like an interesting adventure in the kitchen! You gave me a good laugh.

5. cynthia says:

next time go to a bakery and buy something and pretend you made it…

6. michel says:

Mama J is right. I’m a pretty experienced baker/cook and I wouldn’t even go near candymaking. Plus it’s dangerous! This year my biggest success (and the easiest by far) was chocolate coconut Malibu rum balls. The only pricey thing was the rum, everything else was cheap and there’s no cooking. Throw ingredients in a bowl mix, them together and roll into balls. It is possible to make yummy foolproof Christmas stuff. It just takes a while to find the right recipes.Big kudos for your effort.

7. Martha says:

I think I like Cynthia’s idea. Sounds dreamy.

8. nstryker says:

so what’s your good rum ball recipe? i mean, um, so i can have lisa make it. hrm…